The Week that Was — January 19 — January 25

Sun, Jan 19 —  In at 8:35 and processed Beechjet pics. Sunny, calm and COLD out. Very productive day in the office.  HawBeJe-10Posted BeechJet pics n AKM Gallery blog, TWO WEEKS of AKM Log at AKM blog. Processed the rest of the usable DC-9 and C-133 slide scans to a separate file: AKM scans. Candy bar from airport terminal for lunch and napped an hour at my desk with door closed and lights off. No flying traffic at all. Went home at 5:20.

Mon, Jan 20 —  In at 7:40. Sunny, calm & 35 out. Posted a Honey & Quinine blog, brought down some more Aviation Consumers to process at work . . . . which went very well; got a lot done — and returned at 5:15. Flying 20 flying club was meeting tonight, and two members visited the office here; one recognized me from The Granite Guy but didn’t seem impressed with what he saw. That’s okay. I wasn’t impressed with what I saw either. Another visitor, — Charlie Watts owns a Velocity and flies frequently with Flying 20 because the maintenance program is so good with their airplanes. We had a nice chat, and I departed for home at 7:30.

Tue, Jan 21 —  In at 8:35 after visiting the bank. It snowed 2 inches last night, the outside temp was 9 degrees, and the roads were not as clear as I hoped they would be, but I made it to the airport driving in the darkened tire lanes and having blessedly little traffic behind me. The airport parking lot was totally covered and the wind was strong. Called into employer that I will be 1/2 hour to an hour late. I want the morning rush hour traffic to finish before I drive on Vets Parkway. Departed for work with the last of the Aviation Consumers to cull articles from at 9:30. Very productive day at work and great fun back at the airport when a C-21 crew visited
C21-band I took pictures of them and the airplane.
Departed for grocer at 8:40 and home. GREAT DAY!

Wed, Jan 22 —  Ran out of fuel coming out to the airport about 7:15, walked home from Edwards at Glenwood, called George who came by, took me back to Anne and on the way to work stopped by AKM for my camera. Took some pictures of culling articles from Aviation Consumer and newspapers at work. Back to AKM for model club meeting that went very well with record turnout: Jim and son Alex, Kevin, Brian, Eric, Martin Miller, Dan Block and me.CIPM1-22-14-e I am proud to be “Folksinger In Residence” for the model club. It was over at 9:30 and went home. GOOD DAY!

Thu, Jan 23 —  Minus 2 at 8:10 when I arrived AKM. Got some material to work on at work. Worked on AK web site. Made lots of copies for AKM at work. Posted a Plastic Times blog. Am tired and chilly. Piddled around, trying to find some of my recorded songs and a song sharing CIPM1-22-14-fprogram. Couldn’t find what I was looking for. I was irritated and frustrated (nothing new) aaaaand I was tired and chilly and a little bit numb. So I went home at 8:50.

Fri, Jan 24 — Paid my CWLP (electric & water bill — $333.96!!!!!!!!! — before arriving AKM 8:35 very cold but sunny. Wrote a poem about the cold and arrived work 5  min late. Made MANY copies of pages of articles I had culled for $15 paid in cash. AKM will pay me back from donation jar. Peanut butter from a knife for lunch. Almost ordered hot lunch from restaurant across the street, but I need to conserve the dollars! Back to AKM at 5:25. I was cold, hungry and pretty depressed by the circumstance at employer and the HUGE utility bill! Left for home at 6:48. Reading and dinner are the only things that appeal to me.  I’ll be fine Saturday.

Sat, Jan 25 — The streets were THAWING as I drove to AKM, wet from ice melting! Light breeze and partly sunny, arrived at 7:45. Separated Porterfield articles  from other articles culled from Antique Airplane Assoc. (AAA) magazines in recent weeks. It was unacceptably COLD in the intake room, so I brought everything to office and worked there until leaving for work. Found many more AAA pubs to cull articles from and took them to work. It was busy all day. Peanut butter on a knife for lunch. Sunny and very windy, painfully cold outside. Tired and depressed back in office. MUST ACCOMPLISH SOMETHING TODAY BEFORE 5! It’s better to WORK depressed than do nothing at all here, because at least I am contributing something to the growth of the museum. Organized pictures and Porterfield clips in the office. At 5 I decided to call it quits and went home. Had a ragged night. After dinner of chili and three pieces of bread and margarine with iced tea, napped in the office recliner 6:45 to 10:30. Arose and read two aviation books and wandered the web from 10:30 to 4:30 and back to sleep in the office recliner. I’ve not slept in my bed since a few days before Christmas.

Thanks for reading.

About Job Conger

I am a freelance aviation, business and tourism writer, poet, songwriter. My journalism appears regularly in Springfield Business Journal and Illinois Times. I am author of Springfield Aviation from Arcadia Publishing and available everywhere. As founder/director of AeroKnow Museum (AKM) and a volunteer with American Aviation Historical Society (AAHS), I created this blog to share news about AKM activity and aviation history.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s