The Week that Was – February 2 to February 8

Sun, Feb 2 — Departed hotel about 7. AAHS President Jerri Bergen picked me up and drove me to AAHS HQ for a short visit before heading to the airport for my flight back to EARTH from the aviation HEAVEN I had savored for three days. Volunteer photo specialist Paul Butler came by to meet me and show me around. Had less than an hour; could have spent a week there! I will blog about the day in detail. . . . . . . . . .Caught the flights home with no fuss or muss. Arrived at home base airport and walked over the snow and ice-ravaged parking lot and into AKM office at 9:10, started processing pictures but things were not working right with the computer. I was tired; resolved to figure it all out Monday morning. Closed the office and went home at 9:40.

Mon, Feb 3 — In at 7:30 and worked on pictures until going to work. Good time there transcribing the flying journal notes I had made in a lined notebook given to me by a friend from Divernon, Illinois some years ago.  Back at 5:20 and processed pictures until leaving for grocer and home at 9:10.

Tue, Feb 4 — In at 6:50, roads clear, calm, overcast. Worked on pictures. I have RETIRED my old leather jacket I’ve had since the early 90s. It was too ratty. Went to work, but departed about 12:30 because it began snowing very hard. I made it home okay but the streets were getting REALLY snowpacked and hazardous by the time I pulled into the driveway.

Wed, Feb 5 — Stayed home because of about 9 inches of new snow fall. Worked on AKM magazine articles I had brought home to process. Made excellent progress.

Thur, Feb 6 — To bank and AKM by 8:20, processed pictures, had a fine day at work and back at AKM by 5:30.

Phot’d a BAe 125- 800 and two Ayres agri birds on the snowy ramp at sunset and

AiTr802-b AiTr802-c
processed those pictures plus more from LA. Worked until 8:20, got cold in the office, tired, hungry and went home.

Fri, Feb 7 — In at 6:00, calm, dark and cold out but traffic was light (saw ONE other vehicle in my lane) and roads were clear. Processed trip pictures. Took an armful of Sport Aviation to employer to cull articles relevant to aviation history perspective.  I need more bookshelves for the periodicals room. Learned I have the day off from employer Saturday, DANG it. I could use four hours’ more work. Back to AKM and processed trip pics until 8:20. Went home at 8:25. Tired, but had a productive day!

Sat, Feb 8 —  In at 8, calm, overcast,  about an inch of new snow on the ground, not a factor driving in with very light traffic. Worked on trip pictures and took pics of a Lear 45 (picture in next post) and Citation CJ, had great visits with the crews.

DSC09072FINISHED processing the trip pics, but still look forward to receiving pics from AAHS prez I took with their camera when I was running low on camera memory and battery.  Departed 6:30 tired, hungry and satisfied with the day.

———— Visit

About Job Conger

I am a freelance aviation, business and tourism writer, poet, songwriter. My journalism appears regularly in Springfield Business Journal and Illinois Times. I am author of Springfield Aviation from Arcadia Publishing and available everywhere. As founder/director of AeroKnow Museum (AKM) and a volunteer with American Aviation Historical Society (AAHS), I created this blog to share news about AKM activity and aviation history.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s