The Week That Was – August 3 — 9

Sunday, August 3 — In at 7:40 and worked on financial records until I was distracted by several photo ops and processed pictures all day after 1:00 and had a fine time. Departed for home at 8:25.

Monday, August 4 — Decent night. After laundry, deposited pay and rent, paid house insurance and got a hair cut/beard trim before arriving AKM 10:00. Quiet on the ramp. Brian C,,  a videographer who joined the Chamber of Commerce the same day I did visited toured the whole collection. Time was tight because I had to be at work at 11, and I was a little late but it was no big deal. Work was slow, but okay. Back at airport. worked on postcards until 8:25 when I went home.

Tuesday, August 5 — In later than hoped (but I HAD to shower) at 7:10 and phot’d Brian Regan’s SNJ on the ramp and the distant FA-18E still down for maintenance. Worked on postcards. A very hot, boring, miserable day at work! MISERABLE! One of the worst. Thank God I had to work only 11 to 5 and Wednesday will do the same. Phot’d a C-12 spending short time on the tarmac. Worked on postcards until leaving for grocer and home at 7:05.

Wednesday, August 6 — In 7:35 after a rocky night, Awoke 3:30 checked Fb and e-m half an hour and back to bed and semi-sleep until 7. Photo’d the F/A-18E that’s been here since Sunday with a mechanical issue.

F/A-18 on ramp after returning shortly after departing Sunday. Pilot reported a caution light on the panel. He shut the engine down and came back on one.

F/A-18 on ramp after returning shortly after departing Sunday. Pilot reported a caution light on the panel. He shut the engine down and came back on one.

Worked on postcards. IPA meeting tonight. Wrote my first Sky Unlimited blog for ZG Worldwide and sent it in. Text only no time for pictures; will send Thurs morn. Work was okay. Went over to Charlie Ramp early for IPA meeting but after honking horn a few times and no one coming I went to McClelland Aviation, the nearby FBO and photo’d a Hawker 800 with pilot’s permission. Still no cars or people at hangar D-35 where the meeting was to be. I decided I had made another dumb mistake, forgot what day it was and that today was was really Tuesday and the meeting is tomorrow, so I returned to the office. Met some of the maintenance crew working on the F/A-18, took a picture, downloaded pics, went BACK to Charlie Ramp and saw CARS there, honked and a woman walking back from the rest rooms hangar let me in. I was more than half an hour late. Everyone was eating and Bill Dorsch from Airport Authority was talking to crew, brought the airport tenant roster. I was uninspired totally by it all. I was uncomfortable, could not hear very well, was too hot and spoke to almost no one at the meeting. I was steamed that I had not been able to get into the Charlie ramp when I arrived.Went home and almost straight to bed.

Thursday, August 7 — In at 5:45 cool and light rain. Revised my first Sky Unlimited post for C.M. sent it and pictures to her. Processed a few more, but there was little time. Had to be at work at 9:00. Fairly productive AKM day, few customers. Directly to Gallina’s Pizza art gallery event. Had the best time with poetry and song I’ve had in YEARS. Lots of new faces; not one from the old crowd.

Friday, August 8 — In at 7:40 in heavy drizzle, fog. Processed pictures from last night. Work was fine, rainy all day, accomplished a lot for AKM. Back to airport and posted pics of art on Fb. Headed for home at 7. A VERY SATISFYING DAY!

Saturday, August 9 — In at 8:25, overcast, calm. Worked on pictures from a gallery event Friday all day. Phot’d a Baron and a 310. Springfield Photos visited with family and I took them on a tour of the whole museum.Departed for a poetry event at 5:35.

Thank you for reading this post.

Have a terrific day.



About Job Conger

I am a freelance aviation, business and tourism writer, poet, songwriter. My journalism appears regularly in Springfield Business Journal and Illinois Times. I am author of Springfield Aviation from Arcadia Publishing and available everywhere. As founder/director of AeroKnow Museum (AKM) and a volunteer with American Aviation Historical Society (AAHS), I created this blog to share news about AKM activity and aviation history.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s