January 12 — F-15

Tuesday, January 12 — In at 9:10, cold, windy, nothing on ramp,but sunny. Stopped by JTW book printer: STILL NO BOOK. They will call me. DANG! (They didn’t call all day. Let’s home they will call Wednesday.  Resumed work on SBJ articles. Finished one. Sent it to editor. .. Was working upstairs when I heard LOUD jets, came down and took several pictures of probably three F-15s shooting touch & goes. I shot MANYMANY pictures, say 50, KNOWING the fence would get in the way and many would be unusable, and hoping that I would  be able to edit usable pictures from some of them. But I stayed outside in my very light jacket. Winter coat was in my office and I didn’t dare take 45 seconds to go get it and put it ON. Froze my hands to the frikkin’ bone, but it was worth it. Saved 17 decent pics. Two charter pilots flying a Delta Airlines business jet charter Cessna Citation XL visited the WELCOME Room, and we had a pleasant visit. They had landed with a slightly malfunctioning wing flap and had put it into Standard Aero across the airport for repair. It appeared they’re going to arrange to finish transporting their charter passengers to St. Louis via AmTrak to complete their trip on a jet that was available there, that they did not plan to fly 100 miles up to Springfield.. Spent most of the afternoon processing the F-15 pictures and shared many, Worked on models about an hour in the office — F4F-4 and Sea Vixen. Found decals for the Wildcat in the “stash” upstairs. I had made two sandwiches for lunch, arrived here hungry, so I ate one about 11 (no snacks around and that’s okay) and paced myself. Decided to eat the other one in late afternoon, and did. I became sleepy (maybe it was the sliced turkey; do you think?) and after wondering what to do in my office feeling so lethargic, went up to chilly Process Room where the cot is. THANKS AGAIN Martin Miller for donating the COT! Lay down for half an hour, but I really needed a bleepin’ blanket, even with my hands in my pockets. Didn’t wear my winter coat upstairs. I should have. So I closed my eyes and cleared my head of important thoughts and relaxed. When I arose I was restored to piddle around a little upstairs, but knew it was a loosing battle. Without SIGNIFICANT HEAT up there (It used to be much warmer. Some in “management” has cut it waaaaay back from a location somewhere else in the building that I can’t access. And that’s okay. They pay the utility bill. So I came back to the office and piddled with Fb and email. I REALLY NEED to expand my model work area in the WELCOME Room. Will work on some options Wednesday. Over all, it was a fine way to spend Tuesday. Departed for home at 8. Day rating: A

Here are most of the good pictures from the F-15s’ visit to Runway 31 yesterday.


About Job Conger

I am a freelance aviation, business and tourism writer, poet, songwriter. My journalism appears regularly in Springfield Business Journal and Illinois Times. I am author of Springfield Aviation from Arcadia Publishing and available everywhere. As founder/director of AeroKnow Museum (AKM) and a volunteer with American Aviation Historical Society (AAHS), I created this blog to share news about AKM activity and aviation history.
This entry was posted in aviation, F-15 Eagle, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s