February 13 & 14

Saturday, February 13 — I missed working Sat at “employer” (could have used the income, dang it!) A friend drove me out to the airport so I could get my prescription medications I was told I need to take DAILY. It was late Sat when I picked them up so I skipped the medicines since I need to stay on the morningtime routine with them.  The service center that works on my pickup was closed Saturday and Sunday, and I missed working Sat at “employer” (could have used the income, DANG it.  The whole day was a general downer. Thank GOD I wasn’t cold or hungry.  I also brought some things from the AKM to work on Sunday. Read a lot. It was a very quiet Saturday at home as the snow began to fall. Day rating: D

Sunday, February 14 — It took about 20 minutes to get through the AKM tasks I had brought home, CHEESES, I should have brought home a ton more, but I had been in a rush when visiting the airport Sat. . . An aviation friend, Richard S. called me about 12:45 and we had a long, long, long conversation about his life and what he is going to do with his considerable aviation collection. We hadn’t talked to each other for 10 years, and he’s a local fellow. There had been something of a dust-up over a model kit trade, he walked away, and we never reconciled. He wrote a horrible note on an internet forum about who I am. I printed the note, showed it to a good friend who then walked out of my life as well. I didn’t respond to Richard’s model forum diatribe because he was out of my life, and posting a response would only muddy the water and would not have advanced my friendships with anyone. It became obvious as the early minutes of the conversation approached a half an hour that he needed a patient listener, and I decided to be a patient listener. We decided to meet here at AKM in the coming week, and we said goodbye at 3:30. It was the longest phone call I have had in my life. The plan for the day, with snow falling pretty hard outside, was to work on models in my model workshop, converted small bedroom. After the call ended, I was in no mood to work on models, so I read some terrific aviation history books I had brought home earlier in the week and browsed the internet until going to bed at a decent time. Slept just fine. Day rating: C+

About Job Conger

I am a freelance aviation, business and tourism writer, poet, songwriter. My journalism appears regularly in Springfield Business Journal and Illinois Times. I am author of Springfield Aviation from Arcadia Publishing and available everywhere. As founder/director of AeroKnow Museum (AKM) and a volunteer with American Aviation Historical Society (AAHS), I created this blog to share news about AKM activity and aviation history.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s